Barnkids Funding Methodology and Calculation
The government allows flexibility on how funding is applied to nursery fees and Barnkids use a methodology which will be different to other providers. Our methodology is chosen based on our desire to make the 30 hours as accessible as possible for everyone.
Historically, at Barnkids, for 38 weeks of the year (term time), eligible children were able to choose free early education sessions of between 3-5 hours a day depending on the length of time they attend the setting, up to a maximum of 15 hours a week. For example, if your child attended for one core day a week, they were able to claim 5 hours of funding per week, 38 weeks of the year.
From September 2017, we are changing this specification. There will be no limit to the number of hours that can be used on any one day, so if a child attends for 1 full day a week they will be able to claim 10 hours funding for that day, 38 weeks of the year. For a child that attends 2 full days a week, they will be able to claim between 15-20 hours funding for the 2 days (eligibility dependent), 38 weeks of the year. For a child that attends 3-5 days a week, they will be able to claim between 15-30 hours funding (eligibility dependent), 38 weeks of the year.
Full Day Calculation Example
For a full day for 3-4 year olds the normal unfunded hourly rate is £5.90 per hour.
For the funded hours the hourly rate is £4.51 (funded by the government) + £1.39* for ‘Additional Services and our Quality Premium’, which also equates to £5.90 per hour.
Therefore, the daily rate is £59.00 and on fully funded days this is broken down by:
- £45.10 paid for by the government
- £13.90 Barnkids charge to parents
The ‘Additional Services and Quality Premium’ charge changes depending on the length of session the child attends. For shorter sessions the charge is greater due to the increased cost associated with running these sessions.
Parents are able to opt out of the Additional Services and Quality Premium, please see Opt Out section for more information.
Barnkids will automatically adjust the child’s monthly fee for the funding entitlement the term after a child has turned 3 years of age in line with the below.
- 3 years old by 31st March will be eligible from 1st April (summer term)
- 3 years old by 31st August will be eligible from 1st September (autumn term)
- 3 years old by 31st December will be eligible from 1st January (spring term)
The monthly fee parents pay for funded children is calculated by subtracting your child’s funded hours from your annual fee, and adding our standard additional services and quality premium and normalising this over 12 months of the year.
The table below illustrates the monthly fee you could expect to pay depending on the number of days your child attends, however exceptions will apply, for example if your child attends on a Monday, bank holidays will be deducted, or if your child attends another setting the funded hours will be split.
|Days Per Week
||Over 3 Years Without Funding
||Over 3 Years (+15 Funding)
||Over 3 Years (+30 Funding)
Additional Services and Quality Premium: The additional hourly charge for additional services and quality premium includes:
- Staffing above the statutory adult to child ratios
- Cleaning services
- Access to the Forest School and the additional staffing Forest School requires
- Staff training and qualifications over and above the mandatory requirements
- All snacks and a cooked meal
- Provision of detailed online Learning Journeys
- Consumables such as disposable gloves, first aid supplies, disposable nappy liners, carpet products such as carpet cleaner
- Contributions towards annual staff leave, workplace pension contributions, statutory sick pay and the annual training budget
- Flexibility and guaranteed advanced booking of days and sessions
Additional Services and Quality Premium Opt Out: The additional services and quality premium are not compulsory and parents / carers can choose to opt out of these charges. However a number of conditions apply if parents / carers do choose to opt out:
- All food, including breakfast, lunch, tea and snacks must be provided
- Sibling discount will not be available
- No access to Forest School
- Limited flexibility over days allocated which will be reviewed and subject to change once a quarter on the 1st January, 1st April, 1st July and 1st You will be given 8 weeks notification of the change.
- Basic assessment and provision of paper observations up to the standards required by the Early Years Framework
Notification and Consent: In order to receive your child’s Free Early Education Funding there are a number of forms that need to be completed. During the term before your child’s entitlement begins you will be requested to complete the following forms:
- Registration form for Free Early Education
- Declaration of Attendance Form
- Provider Agreement
These forms will be sent out to you with a date where which they will need to be returned to submit onto the Funding Portal to claim your child’s funding. If they are returned after this date your child may not be eligible to claim the full funding available to them.